GONZO my 1982 Freedom 25 sailboat

GONZO my Freedom 25 yacht:
This blog will document the continued restoration of my 1982 Freedom 25 sailboat, along with all the experiences I have. I purchased my F25 in the winter of 2009 from the 3rd owner who had the boat in NH. Gonzo has a composite rotating winged mast, yanmar inboard diesel, a Gun Mount spinnaker pole and staysail. This is my 1st cruising sailboat and I look forward to learning how to maintain and slowly restore and sail in Narraganset.

Monday, August 20, 2012

Deck Repair: forward port stansion

Below is series of pictures showing a recent deck repair on Gonzo my Freedom 25, the damage happened by the previous owner when he lifted the boat with out loosening the life lines. the straps bent the forward Port stansion crushing the deck, over a few years water rotted the core and damaged the inner skin. I had help from a good friend on this project and I learned a lot about how to do this, *Note: the forward stansion also carries the added weight of the kite pole so I would encourage all F25 owners to check this stansion base often. 


 
 After 1st cut to find rot and see how much damage was done
 after all cuts were done to find good core material, it's hard to see in the pic but the section were stansion base sits does not have core but is part of the over lap of deck and hull laminant. the damage of pushing the stanstion inboard caused damage to the deck which had core.
for got to take pictures, during lay up. but this is new balsa installed in to cut out, their is 2 layers of composite below. 1st being chopped up glass to fill voids, 2nd layer of glass weave to encase and capture new core bonding it to old core and deck skins

 after  sanding to level new and old, before outer skin is added
 final laminate 2 layers of glass, did not mater that their were loose ends as it was all getting sanded after before paint
final sanding done, taped and ready for paint no filler needed

No comments:

Post a Comment